The Monthly Memo Archive
The Monthly Memo
December 1, 2002
Please visit our web page. The site address is heab.state.wi.us.
Note: All revisions, updates and additions for the 2002-03 academic year have been made to the
electronic Policy and Procedure Manual and are now available to you.
Points of Interest:
- The Talent Incentive Program Recommendations included in the WASFAA Windows as well as
distributed at the WASFAA Fall Conference were recently approved by the Board. Steps to carry out
the recommendations will now be taken.
- Just a reminder that the State Student Financial Aid Programs
(administered by HEAB) Audit Guidelines are included in the Policy and Procedure Manual. Please
refer your auditors to this document. They are also included in the State of Wisconsin’s General
- HEAB procedures related to the EdVest Wisconsin Program were established and
implemented prior to the 2002-03 academic year. I am including these procedures
at the end of this memo for those interested. These procedures will also be included in the
updated Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Another reminder for the few schools who have not responded yet to the WISSIS. Please
do so immediately.
- Please note that the electronic copy of the Minority Undergraduate Grant application
included an incorrect fax number. This has now been corrected. Please use the correct fax number.
- A supply of book covers has been provided by the U. S. Department of Education to be
distributed to high school students throughout Wisconsin. The covers include the web sites for
both the FAFSA and PIN as well as information about applying for financial assistance. A number
of these covers have already been distributed to high school counselors who attended the high
school counselor workshops. However, we still have a substantial supply. If you would like a
supply of these covers for high school nights or visits, etc., please contact our office. We will
not be able to send these to you but are willing to do what we can to get a supply to you.
Points Related to Processing:
- 2002-03 notification lists and other associated reports are scheduled to run December
3rd, 10th, and 17th. Please note that the notification list
will not run Tuesday, December 24th or Tuesday, December 31st but will instead
run Friday, December 27th and Tuesday, January 7th.
- 2002-03 award commit and spent for WHEG and WTG are as follows:
|TIP Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 119.98%)
||(last year at this time it was 40.92%)
|UW WHEG Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 128.14%)
|UW WHEG Spent
||(last year at this time it was 48.03%)
|WTC WHEG Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 155.03%)
|WTC WHEG Spent
||(last year at this time it was 49.00%)
|WTG Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 114.94%)
||(last year at this time it was 45.10%)
NOTE: The “W” code is currently being applied to any new WTC-WHEG applicants.
- 2002-03 vouchering occurs both Tuesday and Friday nights. Requests will be processed
if they are received by 12NOON on either Tuesday or Friday. Please note that vouchering will
not occur Tuesday, December 24th or Tuesday, December 31st. It will still
occur Friday, December 27th and Friday, January 3rd.
- TIP nomination forms are to be sent to John Whitt.
- File maintenance is being accepted for the following items only:
Professional Judgement changes
If you have a situation that you believe is a special circumstance, please contact the program
coordinator. ALL other changes must by made by submitting information to the federal
Selective Service changes
- The next training sessions will be held:
The program begins at 10:00 a.m. and ends no later than 3:00 p.m. It is held at the HEAB offices
at 131 W. Wilson St, Suite 902, Madison, WI. We have room for up to 6 people at each session.
If you want to register for a session or need more information, please call Jim Buske at (608)
267-9865 or send email to email@example.com.
I appreciate your feedback and thoughts! My phone number is 608.264.6181, FAX: 608.267.2808,
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org and
SNAILMAIL: HEAB, P.O. Box 7885, Madison, WI 53707-7885.
Jane Hojan-Clark, Executive Secretary
Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board
DESCRIPTION: Per statutory requirement, funds withdrawn from an EdVest account cannot be
used when calculating eligibility for state funds. This procedure ensures that the EdVest requirement
is applied in a uniform and equitable fashion.
- Each year, HEAB receives a file from Office of the State Treasurer prior to the beginning of the
new academic year. This file contains information regarding all EdVest accounts that will be active
for the upcoming academic year.
- HEAB uses this file to identify FAFSA filers who may have reported EdVest funds among assets
while completing the FAFSA.
- When the filers have been identified, a letter will be sent to all filers. The letter will
explain the Wisconsin law regarding EdVest. It will also ask the filers to identify where the
EdVest funds where reported on the FAFSA.
- Once the information requested is received from the filer, HEAB will remove the EdVest funds
and re-calculate the EFC.
- HEAB will use the re-calculated EFC to determine what, if any, state funding the filer may
be eligible to receive.
- If the re-calculation results in a new or changed award, the newly calculated EFC and the
award calculation will be reported to the appropriate school and the student.
- The school may then use this information to voucher funds, if the student is eligible.
- If the re-calculation does not result in a new or changed award, no updated information
will be sent to the appropriate school. A letter will be sent to the student explaining the
re-calculation did not result in a new or changed award.
- If no response is received from the letter sent in #3, no further action will be taken.
The Monthly Memo Archive
HEAB Main Page
Financial Aid Programs
Financial Aid Application Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Information for Financial Aid Administrators