The Monthly Memo Archive
The Monthly Memo
April 1, 2001
Please visit our web page. The site address is heab.state.wi.us.
Points of Interest:
- You will soon be sent the various forms and information related to 2001-02 processing.
Specific formulas or formula concepts for the various programs have been or will be sent to you
prior to the information mailing. It is our expectation that the first notification list for 2001-02
will be released on April 11th. You may begin sending file maintenance (FM) changes after you
receive your school's first list and reports.
- The 2001-02 voucher (V) process will begin August 3, 2001. You may begin sending in
voucher requests the last week in July. Please only voucher funds for students who are registered
- You should already have received an electronic copy of A Report
on Financial Aid Programs for Higher Education in the State of Wisconsin; A Report on Wisconsin
College Student Financial Aid Applicants, Recipients, and Funding Reported by Legislative
District; as well as HEAB 2001-03 Budget Talking Points. You will
also continue to receive updated budget related information, as it becomes available.
- The April Board meeting has been cancelled. The next meeting is tentatively scheduled
for July 20, 2001.
Points Related to Processing:
- 2000-01 notification lists and associated reports are scheduled to print 4/3/01 and 4/17/01.
- We will continue to run the 2000-01 vouchering process on Tuesday and Friday
nights of each week. Just a reminder that we cannot guarantee that your request can be loaded on the
same day it has been received if the information arrives after 12NOON. Please keep in mind
that it takes two to three business days after the vouchering process runs before checks are
physically printed. So please plan accordingly. Please only voucher funds for students who are
registered for coursework. Contact me if you have any questions.
- 2000-01 award commit for WHEG and WTG is as follows:
|UW WHEG Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 133.20%)
|UW WHEG Spent
||(last year at this time it was 88.29%)
|WTC WHEG Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 154.77%)
|WTC WHEG Spent
||(last year at this time it was 90.26%)
|WTG Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 109.08%)
|WTG Award Spent
||(last year at this time it was 84.79%)
- Please remember to submit TIP nomination forms to Sandy Dercole.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE ARE VARIOUS POINTS THAT WERE INCLUDED IN PREVIOUS MONTHLY MEMOS. THESE
CONTINUE TO BE INCLUDED ONLY BECAUSE THEY ARE GOOD REMINDERS.
- Here are a few tips for bringing in your electronic Notification Files:
- set all margins to 0.25"
- set paper orientation to landscape
- set font to Courier (or Lucida Console if you have it)
- set point size to 9
- If you encounter problems opening the file directly from email, try saving it to your
server or hard drive using either Notepad or WordPad to open it. If this doesn't work, please give
Barb Moermond a call at (608) 266-3091 and she will work with you to try to find a solution.
- If your school transfers data to HEAB via an FTP site, please notify Barb Moermond at
firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as
possible whenever any changes in your FTP set-up, software, IP, etc. occur. Once notified, Barb will
make all the necessary changes that need to be made at our end in order for HEAB to continue to be
able to transfer data to and from your school.
- To all schools using the HEAB templates for file maintenance and voucher requests:
Please refer to the Information for Financial Aid Administrators section
on the HEAB web page (http://HEAB.state.wi.us) where you will find the formatting guides for both
templates. Please use the guides and verify that both templates are formatted exactly the way the
guides indicate. There have been an increasing number of problems with files not being formatted
properly when they had been fine previously and this means that the file maintenance changes and/or
voucher requests that have been submitted aren't going through. Please contact Barb Moermond
(barbara.moermond@HEAB.state.wi.us) if you
have any questions.
- HEAB is no longer accepting "adds" submitted via File Maintenance effective March 20, 2001.
- Effective March 5, 2001, our production schedule began loading all File Maintenance and
ISIR records received to date on both Tuesday and Friday nights of each week just prior to
vouchering. In the past ISIR data was loaded every other Monday night prior to the notification run
- An "exception processing system" was put in place effective March 20, 2001, for
"exception adds." We expect to have a newly designed template that will require all data element
information necessary for our student record to be included. This template will be available for use
when extraordinary circumstances occur and will need to be submitted directly to the Program
Coordinator for their review.
- Currently the majority of schools receive an electronic version of the notification
list. We are in the process of working with the remaining schools who receive paper lists so that
all schools receive the electronic notification list. Once all schools have converted to the
electronic notification list, it is our intention to eliminate paper notification lists. Sending
electronic notification lists to all schools and eliminating all paper lists will allow us to send
the notification list once a week.
We believe that with the above changes, concerns that have been provided through your feedback
will be addressed. We will continue to accept all File Maintenance "changes." Only the acceptance of
"adds" has been discontinued. We expect to obtain all new record or student information via Federal
- There have been a number of schools who have been sending file maintenance for students
who are not enrolled at their school. Therefore, new awards keep recalculating based on file
maintenance sent in by the school where the student is not attending. The school where the
student is attending has to keep sending file maintenance to correct what the other school
has sent. To eliminate this problem, please only send file maintenance for students who you know are
attending or plan to attend your school.
- When you send file maintenance, which includes contribution changes, you must always
include the SC and PC along with the new EFC for dependent students. This is important for
maintaining our internal student system particularly when working with the TIP grant.
- Please be aware that it is not necessary for schools to submit an award amount via
file maintenance. This information is not used. Including this information consumes resources both
at HEAB and at your school. Awards are calculated prior to each voucher and re-calculations are
triggered by changes to any of the five key fields (dependency status, year in school, marital
status, household size and EFC).
- Please note that the only proper procedure for correcting a student's Social Security
number is to submit a separate email to the general HEAB address (
email@example.com). Please include the student's name, the incorrect number, and the
correct number. Also, please remember that when you submit a Delete for a student, you are deleting
your school from the student's record, NOT the student's record from our system.
- For schools whose students receive WTG funding: If you have students with "special
tuitions," please identify those students with their special tuition WTG code each time file
maintenance is submitted for them.
- If your school receives the electronic report file of the notification list, please
note that a 1 or a 2 in the child support column means that the student is delinquent (1 or 2 =
- Please be aware that if you request a disbursement of less than $250 for a term or a
semester or if the student has used nine semesters of eligibility, the voucher request is manually
handled through a "special voucher" which is run on Wednesday nights.
- Also be aware that you cannot voucher funds for a student you just sent FAFSA changes
for to the federal processor. Please voucher funds for students after they are reflected on the
notification list. Our agency will calculate an award the Tuesday or Friday night after file
maintenance is received or after the student is loaded from the federal record (which we draw down
daily). However, the notification list which communicates the student award to you is run every
other Tuesday. Please keep all of this in mind when you are making student record changes or
vouchering funds. Please also keep in mind that we calculate awards on the most recent information
that is received either through file maintenance or from the federal processor.
- Just another reminder that students can receive up to ten semesters of a combination of
WHEG/WTG rather than ten semesters of each.
- Please be aware of the following errors that have been made in the processing of
refunds. The errors fall into two categories:
- Schools returning more money for a student than was originally vouchered.
- Schools sending in duplicate refunds.
Please take a moment before sending in refunds to check and make sure that:
- You are returning the proper amount.
- You have identified the proper program.
- That the same refund has not been sent to us previously.
- The next training sessions will be held:
The program begins at 10:00 a.m. and ends no later than 3:00 p.m. It is held at the HEAB offices
at 131 W. Wilson St, Suite 902, Madison, WI. We have room for up to 6 people at each session.
If you want to register for a session or need more information, please call Jim Buske at (608)
267-9865 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I appreciate your feedback and thoughts! My phone number is 608.264.6181, FAX: 608.267.2808,
EMAIL: email@example.com and
SNAILMAIL: HEAB, P.O. Box 7885, Madison, WI 53707-7885.
Jane Hojan-Clark, Executive Secretary
Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board
The Monthly Memo Archive
HEAB Main Page
Financial Aid Programs
Financial Aid Application Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Information for Financial Aid Administrators